Thursday, July 20, 2006

Internet Explorer 7

I don't know about this one. There are some good and some bad points. So I'm going to attempt to spew this all out in hopefully a somewhat intelligible manner.

The User Interface: First of all, who's brilliant idea was it to shove the back and forward buttons way up in the upper left hand corner? Why couldn't they leave the buttons where they have been for over 10 years now? My eyes and hand keep going for the back and forward button (probably the most used buttons in any browser) but they are not where I expect them to be. Weird. And where did my file menu go? I have been using a file menu (you know,.. tools>options) for how many umpteen years and all of a sudden,.. POOF! Gone just like that. The icons are all in funky places now.

Tabbed browsing: Great,... copy Firefox with the tab thing. But why do the tabs have to be so dang big? Jeesh! The tab is the biggest button on the screen! LOL. Hi, we are Microsoft and now we have tabs too! Look look! Look at our big giant tabs!

Page translation: Um,.. what happened between version 6 and 7? Boy, I thought CSS was messed up before,.. now look at it! LOL. I mean, in general most people won't notice this but I do. What is very is annoying is when a CSS page looks different depending on what browser and what time of day it is. Can't we all just agree on a standard so I can design my page and be done with it? I'm just trying to keep a simple blog here and now my banner is all shoved up into the tab/button bar. But when you view it in Firefox and IE6, it's looks just dandy.

Upgrading: Upon upgrading, it takes 900 years to install (even on a fast, spyware free computer). And when it finally finishes, of course I have to reboot and do that whole thing. Then we have to activate, fill out check boxes, reset my homepage possibly, reenter my passwords for my finger print reader, and on and on and on.

Firefox: I've been a big Internet Explorer user for years and years. I truly believe they had it perfected with version 6.x. All they had to do was leave the interface alone, add the tabs and the new security features (phishing, etc.) and be done with it. But no. We have to try to make it look pretty like Mac, featureful like Mozilla and of course fill in all the empty space with Microsoft bullet pointed, check boxed, pull down menued madness. GARBAGE IN / GARBAGE OUT!! Try again Microsoft. I guess Microsoft is leaving me no choice but to either make Firefox my primary browser or continue using version 6 forever.

That is all...

No comments: