Wednesday, October 4, 2006

The difference between UNIX and Windows

The difference between UNIX and Windows
From the perspective of the Operating Environment, licensing and usability


UNIX: A simple toolbox filled with great tools that everyone can share and use freely to build and create really great new things. People can build new tools and modify existing ones. If everyone agrees on a modification or a new tool, then that new edition or modification can be added for everyone else to enjoy.

Windows: A very large complex toolbox made by Microsoft. It is filled with tools that are also made by Microsoft. The toolbox is locked. However if I pay $200, then I can have full access to use the tools. I am not allowed to modify any of those tools in any way nor can I create new ones to add to the toolbox. I have to trust that only the people at Microsoft will make the tools right so that I can use them. Several times a month Microsoft makes changes to the tools and each time they do this, I have to show them visual evidence that I have paid my fee to use the tools. This can be a hassle sometimes but I have no other choice.

No comments: